Mount Airy Attractions
Andy Griffith Playhouse
The Andy Griffith Playhouse, circa 1920, is Mount Airy's first known site of a public school, the Rockford Street School. It is located at 218 Rockford St.. Andy Griffith attended elementary school and performed on stage here during the 1930s and 1940s. The Surry Arts Council leased the building in 1975 and renovated it into a theatre and arts center. The building was named in Andy Griffith's honor during the early 1970s.
Hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. and Saturday & Sunday at various times. Call for a schedule of events at 336-786-7998 or 1-800-286-6193. Fax: 336-786-9822. Mailing address: Surry Arts Council, P.O. Box 141, 218 Rockford St, Mount Airy, N.C. 27030. E-mail: email@example.com. Website: www.surryarts.org
Surrounding Area Attractions
Mabry Mill is located in Meadows of Dan, Va. at Milepost 176 on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. from the last weekend in April throughout October. Demonstrations that may include sorghum molasses making, apple butter making, grinding corn and buck wheat take place every Sunday from 2-5 p.m. The mill emphasizes the pioneer culture of the Blue Ridge Highlands and impromptu music and dancing are usually a part of Sunday afternoon activities. Free admission. Food and drinks are available at the restaurant on the premises. For more information, contact 276-952-2947.
Historic Rockford Village
The Rockford Preservation Society Inc. was organized in 1972 to stabilize and preserve the town of Rockford. The town of Rockford was established by a legislative act in 1789 and served as the county seat of Surry County until 1853. At that time, Surry County encompassed present day Yadkin County. The town bustled with hotels, taverns, mills and general stores. As the county seat, Rockford became a commercial center, as well as, the hub of county and private business transactions. The town of Rockford was placed on the National Register of Historic places in 1976; the Rockford Preservation Society was incorporated the same year. Today, Rockford represents a part of Surry County's unique history and has become quite a tourist attraction.
Visitors to Rockford can also enjoy looking at the antiques, candy and odds-and-ends that fill the Rockford General Store. Operating Hours: Closed Monday and Tuesday; open Wednesday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; and open Sunday, 1-5 p.m. For more information, call 336-374-5317.
|For information about many more Mount Airy/Mayberry attractions please give us a call!
|More Area Attractions
- Blue Ridge Parkway - Ranked as "America's Most Senic Drive". (30 minute drive from B&B)
- Pilot Mountain State Park - Also known as "Mount Pilot" from the Mayberry Show. This park is within walking distance from our B&B.
- Stone Mountain State Park - 600 foot granite dome; more than 17 miles of designated trout waters. Hiking, fly fishing, picnicking, rock climbing, repelling & horseback riding.( about a 35 mile drive) 8AM - 5PM. Call (336) 957-8185.
- Tanglewood Park - Clemmons, NC. Full park including horseback riding. Open daily 7 AM - Dusk year round. Admission. Call (336)766-9540.
- Horne Creek Farm - April - October Hours:
Tuesday - Saturday 10:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
- Horne Creek Living Historical Farm - Pinnacle, NC. (336) 325-2298. Admission is Free. Reconstruct the physical enviroment and seasonal work cycle of a North Carolina family farm.
- Old Salem - A Moravian Community. (888) 653-7253
- Tri-State Angler Guide Service - Our guides specialize in fly fishing float and wade trips for trout and smallmouth bass.
- Local Golfing:
- Beaver Creek - 225 Pratt Rd Dobson, NC (336) 374-5670
- Rivermont Golf Course - 420 River Siloam Rd. Siloam, NC (336) 374-2384
- Cross Creek Country Club - 1129 Greenhill Rd Mt Airy, NC (336) 789-5131
- Pine Ridge Classic - 562 Haystack Rd Mt Airy,NC (336) 320-2233
- Bowling at Mt Airy Lanes - 930 W. Lebanon Street Mt Airy, NC (336) 783-0704
- Biking Available at New River Trail (877) 510-2572
- Yadkin Valley Bike Trail
- High Point International Horne Furniture Center - Come to Highpoint; The home of the largest Home Furniture Show in the world.
- Korner's Folly- The strangest house in the world.(336) 996-7922.
- Canoe & Kayaking - The Dan River Co. (336) 866-2628, Hanging Rock Outdoor Center (336) 593-8283.
Yadkin River Adventures Full Day & 1/2 Day Trips (336) 374-5318
- Mabry Mill - The Blue Ridge Parkway's most photographed location. (276) 952-2947.
- Reynolda House Museum of American Art - (336) 725-5325.
- Wally's Service Station - Offering Squad Car Tours. Located at 625 S Main Street in Mt Airy. Hours: Monday - Friday 9AM - 5PM and Saturday 10AM - 3PM. (336) 719-0181 or 789-OPIE.
- Hot Air Ballooning:
- Park Avenue Limo - Winery tours (866) 959-Limo
- Local Wineries:
- Local Music:
- Saturday Morning Jam Session - Join the jammers on the stage of the Surry Arts Council's Historic downtown cinema, 142 N Main Street, Mt Airy for 90 minuites of music by some of our area's pickers every Saturday morning at 9am until 10:30am.
Call (800) 286-6193 or (336)786-7998 www.surryarts.org
- Blue Ridge Jamboree - (Third Saturday Monthly) Admission $7.00; Contact the Surry Arts Council.
- Tim Fry's Pickin on the Creek - Live music concerts are held each month scheduled Saturday at 7:30 pm at Granite City Floor Covering, 3332 Westfield Rd Hwy 89, Mount Airy; $5.00 per person (336)786-5039
- Thursday night jam session - Andy Griffith Playhouse, 218 Rockford Street, Mt Airy. Contact the Surry Arts Council.
- In-room Massages available; Call Diane Blakemore at (336) 345-0328. Call Penni Miller at (336) 971-1542.
- Infinitydayspa.com in Mount Airy North Carolina (336)719-1633
- State Street Station - Shopping in Greensboro
- Seagrove Potteries
- The Main Oak Emporium, (336) 789-2404; Home of The Official Andy Griffith Collection - Enjoy a cup of Cofee, Specialty drinks, Smoothies & Lunch Live Entertainment on Thursdays & Weekends at the Good Life Cafe ~~ furniture, antiques, art, home accents, garden items, wine & gourmet foods, Good Life outfitters & much more collectibles.
- Local Horseback Riding
- Bregman's Trail Riding (within 2 Miles from our Inn) (336)368-5740 "People Friendly Horses"
- Ogburn Stables - 15 min from Pilot Knob Inn - (336)983-2279.
- Tanglewood - 40 min from Pilot Knob (336)766-9540.
- Mount Airy Museum of Regional History (336) 786-4478 Tues-Fri 10am - 4pm Sat from 10am - 4pm Small admission fee.
- Rockford General Store sells Hand dipped Ice Cream, Old Fashioned Candy, Hoope Cheese & more (336)374-5317 closed Sat
- Stone Mountain (336) 957-8185
- SMALL ELOPMENT WEDDINGS ON THE PROPERTY OR AT THE MOUNTAIN are available. If you would like a preacher to meet you somewhere with your own special arrangements please contact Bruce Hodges at (336)648-5823 leave a message with Bruce...OR Jonathan (336)429-6831.
- Hiddenite Gems, Inc. - www.hiddenitegems.com for mining for gems or 1-866-600-GEMS
- Carolina Ziplines Canopy Tour 336 972-7656 - Harness & ride thru the forest canopy on over 4,000 feet of steel cable. Be sure to mention you found them from Pilot Knob Inn & they will give you a 10% discount.
- www.prohealthcenter.com - Northwest Medical Partners / PROHEALTH Center is $5.00 for a daily pass. You can use their indoor walking track, indoor lap pool, outdoor swimming pool, spa hottub, all nautilus equip stair master, free weights bikes & much more This is a 15 minute drive straight up Hwy 52N in Mt Airy, NC.
- www.homplacepark.com - Swimming & miniature golf.. 15 minutes from Pilot Knob Inn.
- Hanging Rock State Park -Waterfalls, boating, picnicing, fishing, rock climbing, repelling, hiking, horseback riding & swimming in the 12 acre lake.(15 mile drive) Call (336) 593-8480.w
- Local Malls
- Colonial Mayberry Mall - 80A-3 Colonial Mayberry Mall Mount Airy NC 27030 (336) 786-1005 which has 25 stores including belk, bath & body works, jc penny's and is within 15 minutes of a drive from Pilot Knob Inn.
- Hanes Mall - 3320 Silas Creek Parkway #264 Winston Salem NC 27103 (336) 765-8321; 203 stores For all your shopping needs, approx 20-25 minutes from Pilot Knob Inn.
- www.salemcreek.com - 694 Hanes Mall Blvd Winston salem NC 27103; Unique Gifts & Collectibles 336 760-1717
- Back to the Basics Wagon Rides (Mount Airy)- approximately 1 mile long, downtown historic Main Street to our lit Christmas Tree in back; pick up point, old City Jail; Hours: Fridays - 5;30 until; Saturdays - 5:30 until; Sundays - 2:00 until; $5 per person; Call (336)755-7385.